This semester my blog will be switching its focus to online communication. I'll be posting weekly about the best and worst of email, web sites and online advertising.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

NYTimes tests viewer patience with intrusive ads

Intrusive ads are a topic I touched on earlier in the semester with my post about pop-up surveys. So when I read this article about the New York Times trying out screen take-over ads before users even enter their site, I had to comment!

Although many sites use these screen take-over ads, or interstitials, they are always annoying, and in my opinion, unacceptable as "welcome" ads. The Times argues that they are just complying to the needs of their advertising customers by providing this often-requested placement. But I think a newspaper as important as the New York Times should be focusing on its readers, not its advertisers.

The Times, however, has promised that they will be monitoring the prevalence of these interstitials and how they affect reader experience to determine how often they can run these "welcome ads".

Hopefully the readers will speak up and news sties will learn that these intrusive ads just aren't appropriate for their readers.

No comments: