This semester my blog will be switching its focus to online communication. I'll be posting weekly about the best and worst of email, web sites and online advertising.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Economic downturn may not be all bad news for digital promotion grads

Despite the apparent economic downturn over the past few years, an article I found on Foliomag.com yesterday gave me hope that my career choice may indeed allow me to be gainfully employed come December.

The article noted that business to business publishers in general saw a 2% decrease in ad revenue, but those that have been working on their transformation from print to digital are still doing well.

While many companies have imposed hiring freezes, one company CEO quoted in the article said this freeze would not apply to its New Media Group.

This CEO said that he considered that group's actions "critical to our revenue growth plans for both the near and long-term future."

For soon to be CMC graduates like myself, news like this means that there might be a multitude of job openings in online media, even as print media suffers.

Even so, the article did conclude that online is not the complete solution. The point is it's critical for any business to know their audience and how to fulfill their roles online and in print.

No comments: